After spending quite some time focusing on baking cakes and cupcakes, I decided to spend my day off getting back to my roots. Boy did I miss making cookies! Cookies and I just get each other, you know?
I know what the dough should look like, taste like, smell like, feel like. When that perfect dough begins to form in my mixer I get the best feeling inside. What’s really neat, is I have spent so many years baking cookies that now I can look at a bunch of recipes as a base and then make it my own way. I personally love chunky, gooey cookies so I know when I can add more brown sugar or more eggs to get there. And that’s exactly what I did today!
I pulled out all of my cook books and magazines and searched for different white chocolate macadamia nut cookies. From there, I looked at the basics and wrote down my own recipe to create my ideal cookie! Risky business, ey?
I have actually never made one of these cookies before because my mom is actually allergic to macadamia nuts. Buuttt with Mama Fish in Palm Beach I was able to test it out without killing her. And dang did they turn out good!!!
At the end of the day, I think this recipe is really easy but a total crowd pleaser. It always seems like a more advanced cookie because it goes just beyond the classic chocolate chip. Whip this up for your summer party or game night and WOW your peeps!
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened and sliced into tablespoons
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 oz white chocolate chips (about 3/4 of a normal bag)
- 6 oz macadamia nuts (about 1 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large stand mixer, combine the butter, granulated and brown sugar, shortening and vanilla until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes on medium speed).
- Add in one egg and the egg yolk from the other egg. Mix on medium until combined.
- Add in the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix on medium/high speed until perfectly combined. Do not over mix.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the chocolate chips and macadamia nuts with a rubber spatula.
- Chill dough, covered, for one hour.
- On a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a cookie mat (10/10 recommend cookies mats) roll the dough into 1 inch thick balls and place about 1 inch apart from each other. Bake for 8-10 minutes until the bottoms are golden brown and the centers are almost (seconds away) from being completely cooked. They should still look a LITTLE shiny in the center. Remove from the oven and let the cookies bake the rest of the way on the pan for 5 minutes. Move to a cooling rack and enjoy!
- The brown sugar should be packed. This means, when scooping it into your measuring cup, pack it in tightly so it is filled as much as possible.
- If you don't sift your flour, try to fill your cup just barely to the top. Flour is very thick and without sifting, you will add too much. Just make sure to add a little less if you're not using one.