This Perfect light and fluffy, Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting will make your mouth water with pumpkin spicy goodness! I AM NOT OVEREXAGERATING FOR CLICK BAIT! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!
It’s Fall!!! Well, in Florida it’s more like Hurricane season, but a girl can still pretend right?
Like most of you, I had labor day off and that gave me some serious time to catch up on long, overdue baking. After starting my day with my first pumpkin spice latte of the season, I knew I had to put together a pumpkin treat.
I found this recipe ages ago, by Paula Dean on the Food Network, and have been waiting to try it. With a few nutmeg touches, I seriously created the PERFECT pumpkin cake!!!
This is originally called a “Pumpkin Bar” but because of the spongey, rich nature I decided to call it a cake. If it wasn’t cut into bars it would never consider calling itself a bar so let’s just be honest and call it what it is.
Now, I must admit I was nervous testing this recipe out because the batter straight up looked like pumpkin puree. I thought, no way this is going to pull itself together. But much to my (very excited) surprise it popped itself right up into the most wonderful, fall cake!!!
I was also very nervous for Chase to try it when he got home because Pumpkin can really be hit or miss. Sometimes it is way to much flavor or a strange consistency and even though I loved it, you still need others opinions. But MAN did I get lucky because that boy LOVED it!!!
In seconds he was like “Oh my god…Oh wow….Oh my god” and within a few bites decided it was his official #1 favorite recipe I had ever made!!! Yes it even beat out the double chocolate chunk cake cookies he requests weekly!
I was so excited! This recipe is seriously delicious and best part, it’s easy to make! There is nothing complicated. No baking tips and secrets. Just a straight forward recipe everyone can master like a classic pumpkin pie.
If you’re looking for the perfect dish to kick of fall, look no further! Your mouth will be watering, waiting for more and you can thank me later. Plus, cream cheese icing? Come on…that’s always a winner.
If you loved this recipe you can get tons more like it each week, right to your email! Make sure to subscribe & instantly download an exclusive Salted Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe!!
- 15 oz can pumpkin
- 4 large eggs
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp salted butter, room temperature
- In a large stand mixer, combine the pumpkin, sugar, eggs and canola oil on medium speed until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Mix lightly until just combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and mix on medium speed until completley incorporated.
- Transfer the batter to a greased sheet pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick in the center and come out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, combine the cream cheese, confectioners sugar, butter, salt and vanilla until light a fluffy.
- Spread the frosting evenly across the cooled cake. Slice into squares and transfer to a plate.
- Do not over mix, your batter shouldn't be too thin but it also shouldn't have chunks in it.